Author: LaNdo <[email protected]>     Reply to Message
Date: 11/14/2020 10:05:47 AM
Subject: RE: Amend your constitution...

Right, AI = Artificial Intelligence. I understand what it means and I understand how a machine that puts pickles in a jar isn't exactly considered AI (although it could be, depending on the machine). Let's say the pickle placing machine had software running with an optical sensor that allowed the machine to decipher where the jar was in relation to the pickle and how fast it would have to drop the pickle in. Perhaps it can scan the edges of the jar and do some quick calculations, then drop the pickle in perfectly. This could be AI.

This is also not really what I'm talking about... self-driving cars use AI. Those driverless trucks that are going to be hitting the roads in the next decade? Those use AI.

My only point was, that AI (and yes, automation) are taking jobs, have been taking jobs and in the future will be taking MORE jobs at faster rates. If we continue down the path we are on now, it could replace tens of millions of jobs by the time my kids are adults.

The smart thing to do NOW would be to make sure we are prepared as a society as a country, to be able to deal with that. Seems to me like Universal Basic Income would counter the effects of these job losses quite well. I mean, I haven't heard any other ideas that would help... You can tell truckers to start programming, but that's just an ignorant statement to make IMO. The fact is, these jobs are going away and there may not be other jobs to replace them. Are we just going to be okay with these people not having careers anymore and can just move on with a higher unemployment rate?
_