Author: Hollow <jkl;>     Reply to Message
Date: 11/10/2020 6:16:22 AM
Subject: RE: Amend your constitution...

You're kinda taking this discussion down a different path from funding to laws, but I'll flow with you.

I guess the problem I see here is that if you give each state all of the power, barring military spending, you're still entrusting your individual freedoms to whomever is the leader of that state right? Could that leader not start doing messed up shit that isn't good for the people in the state? Isn't giving all the power to each state essentially making each state it's own country? How very European of you!

Seems like you don't understand how the laws work here. The states already have all the power. It's why we're called the United States. There really aren't that many federal laws, and the states can either blatantly ignore(immigration laws) or find ways around(drug and gun laws) the ones there are.
The whole point in having individual states instead of one large country is to limit the power of any one individual and recognize that citizens in different areas of the country have different needs and wants.

All jokes aside, I just don't see how this would change much, except make things worse. You wouldn't be so much a country, as a state... sure, each state can follow the constitution, but what if one state has a different idea of what falls under that constitution. For example, I could say that muting my twitter account is against my constitutional rights in Georgia, but in Florida muting my twitter account is ok. Just like the bible, it all depends on how you interpret it.

Again, this is already how the country is run. The Constitution was written by and for the citizens of the United States. Every government at the local, state, or federal level MUST follow the Constitution. It is also already interpreted differently by each state, gun laws are a prime example. If someone doesn't like the laws of one state, they are free to move to a state with laws more in line with their beliefs...it's one of the reasons I moved from Virginia to Indiana.

I don't know... I see your point and I see the upside, but I also think that if you have a country that is founded on good core values like freedom and liberty, that those values should be implemented from the top down and be in clear and concise terms for everyone. Each state can squabble about what means what, but daddy America has final say.

People interpret things however they want. If the 2nd amendment specifically said "The people's right to own a gun shall never be infringed" it would still get interpreted differently. There would still be the arguments of it being written during a time of black powder rifles.
Honestly, I think the more laws and rules enacted under the guise of protecting freedom and liberty end up moving society further from that goal.

I truly think at this point in civilization we should be evolving politically and we aren't... We value sentiment and emotional connection to our past. We all want to believe that our forefathers had good intentions when they came here, but if we evolved in politics the way we evolve with technology, we wouldn't be worried about having to hand a physical ballot or mail a ballot... we would be using top of the line state of the art encryption to ensure that everyone is accounted for.

You should know there is nothing 100% secured in technology. If I told you there was a .001% chance of hackers gaining access to our ballot system would you feel comfortable going to 100% online voting? .001% is obviously not a great risk, but if it were to come true then hackers would have free reign to change every single vote cast if they wanted. Small risk with huge implications. Not worth the risk to me. That being said, if we limited the federal government's scope to what I want, then idgaf if we do 100% online voting for president cause they'd be nothing more than a figurehead.

The way we do everything is changing rapidly, especially after COVID. More people working from home. Interviews taking place on Zoom instead of in person. Some things are just a shit ton more efficient online and I'm certain that voting would be as well if you did it right and kept the voting system in a bubble. Some day in the future we will have figured it out... I don't think for one second that it won't happen someday, but I doubt I'll see it in this lifetime.
Anyways, politics...religion blah blahblah.

If Hollywood has taught the world anything, it's not to rely on AI or technology too much. :)
_