Author: LaNdo <[email protected]>     Reply to Message
Date: 11/5/2020 12:09:46 PM
Subject: RE: Amend your constitution...

Makes sense. It's easier to argue against a Libertarian that wants no government involvement in social programs.

What is the issue with Federal funding states? Would you rather ONLY pay state tax, and have no Federal tax at all? I understand wanting to strip it down so the Federal gov't has less say in people's day to day lives... but what is the cost?

Canada is exactly like this. We pay Federal tax to fund our healthcare system, that is national and everyone gets equal access to treatment. People with lots of money can travel to other countries and pay for better / different treatments, but they will get the same treatment for a heart attack that a homeless guy would, or at least that's what is supposed to happen. I'm not going to pretend it works utopian like this, but it works IMO.

The largest downside to federally funded healthcare is that there is a lack of competition obviously. Competition drives innovation... but I wonder if compassion / empathy drives innovation in a similar way for some people, which is what makes our system work.

But yeah, I guess I can question it like this: If the US implemented a health care system like Canada has now, what would be the largest issues you would have to deal with and would it be worth having equal access to healthcare for the entire country?
_