Author: LaNdo <[email protected]>     Reply to Message
Date: 3/5/2017 4:24:15 AM
Subject: Kids Hockey

My 2 nephews play Atom hockey and they were in the playoffs this weekend. It was the 2nd round and it was an away game. For those that don't know, this Atom division is ages 9-11, so typically the refs are teenagers... Nobody expects them to do a great job, but to know the basics really.

Middle of the 2nd period and our team is up 2-1. The home team gets a couple goals to make it 3-2 by the 3rd period. Lots of missed calls, nothing serious... A few trips and offsides missed. Refs caught daydreaming a few times. Our team is fighting for the puck in front of the net, puck drops back to the point and the defenceman shoots it in, puck goes all the way to the back of the net, as it bounces back out a smudge the goalie flicks it out with his glove. Home team celebrates and away team stands there disappointed. No whistle. Finally after a few seconds the refs stops the play but doesn't realize our team scored. The home team tells them over and over it went in, the parents in the stands are screaming that it went in. Refs didn't see it. So what does the LINESMAN do? The fucking linesman goes up to the Home team's goalie and asks him to be honest and tell him if the puck went in, to which the 9 year old (playing the biggest game of the year so far) replies with an obvious "no". Ref calls it no goal. WTF? Parents lose their shit. Kids are crying. Everyone, including the home team parents are yelling to the ref that it was a goal, but nope. No goal.

Our team gets another goal, and after a kid on the home team gets knocked down, refs blows the whistle. I'm that order. Ref calls it no goal and sends the kid on our team tha knocked him down to the box for a 2 minute roughing (no checking yet at this age). He calls it after the puck was in the net! My nephews team loses 4-3, thus ending their hockey season.

Every single kid walking out of the locker room had tears streaming down their faces. Travesty for these guys. Robbed.

Just thought I'd vent.
_