Author: ThePope <asdf>     Reply to Message
Date: 2/9/2017 2:00:55 PM
Subject: RE: Picobrew

ya ive been home brewing for a little over a year now. i would say thats a no-buy.
not gonna lie home brewing isnt cheap, but its cheap if you want it to be. im around 2000 canadian pesos invested in equipment, but ive gone overboard in a lot of places.
If youre going to buy anything, get a BIG pot, boil overs are a bitch. I have a 16 gallon pot (cheaper model) thats very simple with a thermometer and a valve on it. I bought a smaller 5gal but quickly outgrew it
if youre gonna start get a malt extract 5gal kit, and a beginner 5gallon fermenter kit. a lot of americans order off of northernbrewer, so https://www.northernbrewer.com/essential-brewing-starter-kit
I, being canadian, order from ontariobeerkegs.com because it works out cheaper.
tip: dont sweat measuring the specific gravity and all that garbage
if i were to do a brew with starter stuff today i would do a 5gal kit and boil 3gal+extract. after the 1hour boil i would top up to 5.5gal with cold tap water, transfer to fermentation bucket (should be cold enough) let it sit till the next morning, then add the dry yeast, check to make sure its fermenting the day after that, and let it sit undisturbed in the basement (65f or so) in the dark for 3-4weeks. put it in the fridge after that for 2 days (cold crashing) and then bottle. I personally would get the individual drops that you add 1 per bottle at least the first few times youre messing with all this. I would cap and then let the bottles sit in room temp (70f or so) for 3+weeks to condition, then refrigerate for at least 2 days before drinking, preferably a week. dont drink from the bottle but pour in a glass careful not to stir the yeast or pour the yeast.
i can talk for a long time about this, but keep it simple. i currently brew 10gal and top up to 15gal with tap water, transfer to kegs still hot and let it cool for a day, add yeast and ferment in the keg and use kegs as fermenters, but i have like 13 of them collected now, like i said $2000cdn worth of stuff
_