Author: LaNdo <[email protected]>     Reply to Message
Date: 9/13/2016 5:57:53 PM
Subject: Medication

So after spending the past weekend in a hospital bed I truly realized how fucked up some super basic medications can be.

I've been taking Terbinifine aka Lamisil to treat yellow toenails I've had for a few years. Nothing horrible, just my big toe and middle toe were affected by the fungus. I've tried a few things like topical applications, but it never helped. So my family doc prescribes me Terbinifine. It's a fucking pill to help get rid of toenail fungus, how bad could it be?

Starting last Thursday, my muscles felt sore... Like I had been working out excessively for hours, which I wasn't. The soreness got progressively worse and I started feeling real weakness all over. Wife recommends I go to urgent care just in case, so I do. They take my blood and see that my creatine kinase levels were high. So I came back in the next day for more blood and the levels had quadrupled. At that point they told me that my muscle tissue was breaking down and it was at a high enough level that it could pwn my kidneys. Drove myself to the ER and they rush me through, no waiting, get x-rays, EKG, more blood work etc and eventually get me into a room with an IV drip to flush out the CK in my blood. 3 days in hospital, CK levels went down gradually and I was released. At one point I saw a Neurologist who said they might have to do a muscle biopsy to make sure I didn't have a neurological disorder... Luckily that was ruled out.

So turned out that the Terbinifine was a primary cause of the sickness... I looked it up online and saw others had the same issue, Rhabdomyosis and the drug was the only thing responsible. Like going through that shit is worth having clear toenails.

I'm doing fine now, my arms feel weak as I lost a bunch of muscle tissue in the process, but fuck man I will think twice about taking any prescription again after that ordeal, especially for something so benign.
_