Author: Drak <[email protected]>     Reply to Message
Date: 1/19/2016 9:03:13 PM
Subject: Lasik, Lasek, PRK, etc. Eye Surgery Thread

Who here has had which operation(s) done, if any?

I just had custom wavefront Lasik done in Seoul and I am feeling like a new person. I've been wearing contacts for twenty long years. I went to go put them in this morning and just looked in the mirror and started laughing in complete disbelief. I am very happy my eyes were a great candidate for Lasik, because I would have denied Lasek or PRK. Ain't nobody got time for that. Seriously, even on vacation right now, who has a week to spare without being able to see? Plus an 8 month full recovery cycle. Custom Lasik, I was off that table and my vision was *immediately* amazing. I was freaking out.

But the experience was really extreme for me. Here is the post I made on Facebook, detailing my operation:

First of all, my machine: the Amaris 1050RS - #1 Laser machine in the world right now and I'm very proud to have used this amazing 7d technology!

So I'm dropping my own blood into my eye right now.

I guess it's the hip thing to do after you have LASIK surgery. It's mixed with artificial tears so it doesn't look like blood, aka not badass.

My vision is now 20/13 and I threw away all my contacts.

I want to write about the actual process of getting eye surgery. Not the preparation or the healing process. I mean the actual 10 minute surgery.

I went to one of the top centers in Seoul where they use the new Amaris 1050 RS machine, the best laser machine currently in existence. The doctor gave me a tour of the machine before my operation. The thing costs over a million dollars for 1 machine. You can watch the video about it at the bottom of this post, it's really interesting.

I feel like my experience with LASIK was more intense than what I assumed it was going to be. Everyone always told me "oh it's easy." And I guess it is but...

No one actually told me that it would be an intense and slightly frightening experience that I would never forget. I'm a really cerebral person and I was calculating every single process going into my eye that was happening. It was disturbing. It was straight out of a horror movie. I didn't hate it, but there are few things in my life that have been more intense than that in terms of *body feels*.

You put your hair cap and surgery gown on and get onto the machine. The nurses are all adjusting stuff and moving your body into place. The doctor comes in and it begins immediately. First comes the numbing eye drops, and one of the eyes is taped over so it's not in the way. A speculum is placed over the first eye which is a thing that makes you not able to blink. The nurses start shooting fluid onto your eye ball. You can obviously see everything. The doctor says "I'm going to press on your eye".

Then a circular thing goes around the outer edges of the eye, in order to bulge the eye out more. This is where it gets intense. You watch the doctor get close to your eye and a smaller laser peels off your flap from the side. NOTHING ever touches your eye (thanks Dook for the correction)

And you see your outer eye flap peel off. When this happens, you go blind for 10 seconds and when you do see again, everything is so blurry like you have 20/2000 vision, because your eye is basically mangled up.

Then the doctor says "I'm going to shoot the laser now": The laser turns red and fires and it doesn't hurt at all. The sound is like a UFO. You are breathing extremely hard and one of the nurses is patting your hand to let you know everything is cool (this really helped me). The Amaris RS 1050 Machine shoots the laser for about 6 seconds, and your body is telling your brain that something major is happening, but you really can't figure out what. Your vision is warping quickly. The laser stops and the doctor immediately gets to work replacing the flap back onto your eye.

Suddenly, relief, as the doctor takes off the eye-bulging tool and says the words you wanted to hear, "PERFECT."

Hell yes! It's done! Oh wait.... now comes the other eye.
frown emoticon

5 minutes later, after another surreal alien experience, you get off the table and your vision is IMMEDIATELY INSANELY GREAT.

It's aching a bit and you want to lay down somewhere, but your vision is already perfect.

Then you're done.

This rules. The best $1,000-$1,500 ever spent. If you want Lasik, you should fly to Seoul and get it done, because the price including your round trip plane ticket will be less than half the price of anywhere else in the world. Tons of people do this. I saw so many foreigners who flew in for the week to get it done.

A+, thank you Doctor Ku.

_