Author: {wf}shadowspawn <shadowspawn_at_shadowspawn_dot_net>     Reply to Message
Date: 12/7/2012 11:06:12 AM
Subject: why some maps need to be recompiled for 3.99

I'm always at a crossing point: fix the maps through generalized code changes that will be all encompassing enough to fix most of the problems.... (shotgun-to-a-barrel-of-fish programming solution) or recompile broken maps with what has changed.

The thing is I have to do both. Without source to a lot of maps it's damn near impossible to fix a lot of problems. Even id did map scripts for the bots (to an extent) but that, to me, is cheating.

But I can't completely overhaul all the code.

The problem you're seeing on this map is from players putting down decoys because of "travel times" between flag points being used to calculate where to put the decoys... since BSPC uses only one AAS file (not one aas file per "team") and it only creates a general travel flag for a general player (not a travel distance for different "teams") well, you can see the crap that can happen.

Oh I fixed it, all I needed to do was narrow down some items and tweak the spawn rooms a tad, but I have source to cancer3. I just don't have source to any of the older maps and the problems on some of them are tough to handle, like denali. Bots will try to use the teleporters once they grab the flag to take a "shortcut" to midfield.

Hope this all makes sense.
_