Author: jabes <hauj00b>     Reply to Message
Date: 5/9/2012 10:25:07 AM
Subject: RE: Day Z - An Arma II mod

I've been playing since around 1.2, and it really is something else. I have so many crazy stories and experiences from my travels in Chernarus I almost feel like writing a book.

Once, I logged on in the middle of the night. During my previous sessions I had been making my way through the countryside to what I was told was a town ripe for the picking, travelling with a friend who was now fast asleep. I decide to take a shortcut through a small village, which turned out to be a terrible decision - it was full of zombies.

So there I was, being chased along the road by a dozen zombies for what must've been half an hour, when I see a flare in the distance. It looks like it's on the roof of a building, but it's hard to tell from this distance. I stop running for a second to announce that I'm in need of help, during which time I'm struck in the face and start bleeding. Almost immediately I get a reply - "No problem, come on over". Slowly losing blood, I make my way over and find that it is indeed a building (and a pretty big one, at that). I climb a few flights of stairs, but see no entrance to the roof. Frantically searching, I hear a moan. They're catching up. Suddenly, I hear the flick of lighter, followed by a blinding red light - the guy drops a flare down, revealing the ladder that was hiding behind a stack of crates. I'm struck once again while I'm putting away my mostly-empty revolver. My vision darkens as I climb, gunshots echoing as my newfound companion covers my escape.

The gunshots stop as I finally reach the top. I'm safe. He points me towards a pile of ammo and we chat for a bit while he gives me a transfusion. In the first downtime I've had in quite some time, I realize how incredibly hungry and thirsty I am. I ask if he has anything to eat, to which he replies with a laugh, "You too, eh?"

A scream echoes in the distance. Blam. Blamblam. Another scream - no shots this time, though. I look toward the horizon, deeper into the city where I see a figure basking in the faint light of a distant flare. It's another survivor, and it looks like he's in trouble. Without hesitation, my savior whips out he rifle and, after adjusting his zero, takes aim and fires. The shots hit and the zombie goes down, as expected. What we didn't expect, though, was the massive horde that proceeded to sprint through the light towards us. Shit.

We decide that it'd be a waste of resources to try and take them out from all the way over there, so we wait for them to get closer. We manage to pick off a few before they round the corner of the courtyard and escape our line of sight, which uses up the majority of our remaining ammunition. Their cries now louder than ever, we figure they're probably in the building. "We fight to the end!", he says. No disagreements here. While waiting for death to shamble up the stairs, we reminisce about how we first met - oh, it seems like only yesterday! We expend the rest of our ammo on the first few to climb the ladder, though there are many still filing up the stairs.

We back as far away from the entrance as we can and wait. Guns as empty as our stomachs (and my veins), we watch as the first zombie steps floor on the roof. The chat was unusually dead, so it wasn't hard to see the message in my peripheral vision - "Goodbye, battle-brother. We made a hell of a team." I turn my head as he takes a single step and leaps off the edge.

The rest, well, you can probably figure it out.

_