Author: Zitheral <yep>     Reply to Message
Date: 11/10/2011 9:00:11 PM
Subject: Indie Game Development

There is a lot of nostalgia around the WF days... it was 10 years ago... most of us were in Highschool or college. No responsibilities, could stay up all night, and it was all new territory. I've tried 3 times now to put a team together on several different engines. When it comes down to it though, there just isn't enough interest to see it through to completion.

It takes a TON of work (and I mean a TON) to make even a decent looking game now. The programming is the easy part (despite what inf will inevitably say...) It is the assets that are a killer. Even spending almost $500 on art was not enough to keep map makers interested, modelers modeling, and animators animating. The sad fact is you need at least two of all of those people or it just isn't going to work.

It is almost impossible to find modelers and animators skilled enough to work in the modern engines and "not employed enough" in the gaming industry already to be willing to put in the hours.

It is a dream -- like wishing you could go back and play football again in high school or wishing you could go back and relive a backpacking trip through Europe when you were younger.

It is a little sad I guess, but everyone got old. Noone has time for this stuff anymore -- and that is ok. We've moved on to other things.
_