Author: tunnelrat <rxfoster gmail>     Reply to Message
Date: 9/26/2011 8:03:30 AM
Subject: New server hardware

So.... with all the SAPs (Sweet Ass Plugins) we are running, I am going to try to start putting together another box.

Right now, with PSStones gone, things aren't TOO bad, but unless 1.9 fixes the server processor load that 1.8 introduced, I am going to assume it's some plugin or just all the new stuff MC has added.

In a month or so, I am going to start taking applications for people who want to play on our server (i.e., mature people, blah blah)

When that happens, we'll be moving to a whitelist, and I will be making any PiCErs (who want the job) Moderators.

We'll also try to make sure everyones house is WorldGuarded (anyone who wants a protection field on their house, let me know... all PiCErs will get 1 free WG field. It will probably be a max of 64x64, and cannot infringe upon neighbors - it will be expensive to move it later, so make sure you are happy with the section you pick).

ANYWAY - ON TO THE POINT

*IF* anyone has the means, and wants to help, either by directly donating hardware, or just donating toward the purchase, let me know.

I am not sure I am cool with giving out anything for donations, but if there are no major objections to it, and we can come up with something agreeable, that may change.

There will be an in-game recognition of donors, nothing major probably just a plaque on the wall in a public area.

There is a chance I can get the i7 980x out of my old laptop... but not a definite.

If not, I want to get a high-end processor - probably not quite i7 Extreme level as they are $600+, but something in the $200-$400 range.

Currently, the server is running on a tri-core AMD X3 435:

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=AMD+Athlon+II+X3+435 (Scroll down, highlighted in red)

My laptop is running an i7 990x, but unfortunately I can't leave it up all the time =/

SO... looking at the i7 2600K, the i5-2500K, or maybe the high end AMD Phenom II X6 1100T if cost becomes an issue...

I need to do research on which will kill Java the best.

I have a lot of, if not all, of the other components aside from the motherboard.

_