Author: tunnelrat <rxfoster gmail>     Reply to Message
Date: 8/22/2011 10:51:21 AM
Subject: mcMMO experience gains

Because of mcMMO's fairly slow rate of skill gain, it's not really very useful for casual players, which most of the server playerbase is.

Most combat skills are being upped because of the mob-spawner training nerf. (You used to be able to fight mobspawner spawned mods from relative safety and still gain skill points) I fight mobs on purpose, I wade into mass gaggles with all weapon types, or archerize the hell out of them, and unless I am working on fixing map issues I do not chrono trigger or /time day - so I end up fighting several hundred mobs per session regularly. Basing my opinion off of that, I will be adjusting the exp gains so people who don't play as much can still gain measurable benefits from them.

I will be substantially upping the exp rates for:

Unarmed
Taming
Axes

- These skills are insanely slow to level... you'd have to spend weeks getting your ass kicked in to level unarmed... the only reason Pra3 and I have it where we do is because you used to be able to gain skill from beating each others asses. Even with the skill level I have, it takes me somewhere between 8-12 hits to kill a Zombie, while he's happily kicking my cheese in.

Axes - Critical hits don't do shit... and the damage level at 112 skill is so low that it's pointless to try and grind the shit out of it in the hopes that it will eventually be useful enough to just carry an axe.

Taming - This skill LOOKS like the rewards are gtg, but considering the fact that it takes years to level even at the lowest skill, dogs are (sometimes) hard to find, obnoxious to have around making constant noise, getting in front of you while you are swinging something, hug cactus and swim in lava, skydive off anything that is likely to kill them, but it takes a handcart full of pork to keep their health up. This skill will have its exp rate increased greatly.

I will be slightly increasing exp gain for the following skills:

- Acrobatics - Some of us have been playing pretty regularly since mcMMO came out... I have personally logged several hundred hours since then, and with the exploration/map fixing I am doing, I fall off shit constantly (which is why I wear diamond armor - and my repair skill is so stupid high). Even WITH purposely jumping off (and holding crouch to attempt a roll) of thousands of things, as well as falling 80-100 blocks from time to time while working on Dwarrowdelf/Ackbar, I have yet to break 200. Because Acrobatics has a pretty big benefit, I will start by upping this just a tad and see where it goes.

- Archery - This skill is excellent for making bows actually useful, but after firing several thousand arrows, I am barely over 218 skill. I will be bumping this up maybe 50%, and we'll see how it goes.

I have already upped woodcutting significantly, and it is actually progressing at a decent rate.

Skills that won't be modified:

Herbalism - Seems okay the way it is, especially since you can harvest cacti/reeds/mushrooms that spread like mad.

Swords - Diamond swords are powerful as it is, so getting exp with them isn't as difficult and the benefits are in line with that. The special ability is also awesome against massed enemies at close range.

Repair - I am almost 600 in repair, and I still get points almost (if not) every time I repair a diamond item. It's high enough now that I can sometimes repair a diamond cuirass that is at 40% health to full with 1 diamond. I recommend using gold tools and especially gold armor to skill up, unless you mine a lot and can afford to use diamond armor (which I would only do at <200 skill if you have a ton of diamons)

Mining - Goes up plenty fast, and gives awesome rewards

Excavation - Also goes up insanely fast if you use it, and at 350 skill you get a chance of a diamond dropping from ANY diggable material that grants exp (0.13% chance per block mined) I generally get enough diamonds when clearing dirt/sand/gravel to repair my shovels AND have some left over. Giga drill breaker gives 3x xp and 3x drop chance as well. You also get tons of glowstone dust and a lot of other cool stuff. I recently hit 750 skill, and cake now drops (0.05%chance) from any diggable block type. Anyway, I will buy sand/glass/cooked stone from you, so get diggin!

_