Author: tunnelrat <rxfoster@gmail>     Reply to Message
Date: 7/5/2011 11:04:48 AM
Subject: MC Changes - Precious Stones - PVP Test - Etc

There is a TON of shit I need to clean up as far as plugins go. Any input/feedback would be greatly appreciated.

- Currently, there is like a 30 minute cooldown on /home and /warp. Right now, only admins have /warp... that may change if we add a few limited warp points, right now we are using it while we work on things.

The point of the cooldown was to prevent /home from being a get out of jail free card, to make the game more like an MMO where you have a hearthstone or whatever. Since there is the option to use Voxel Ports and Wyvern's Wings (Wyvern's Wings must be used outdoors, they are ten feather in hand, right click), but the Voxel Ports need a lot of work.

So, the question is, is 30 minutes too long? I think having SOME cooldown on /home is good, even if it is 5 minutes. What about 15? I guess the issue here is that while the cooldown can be frustrating short term, instant access to unlimited teleports really kills the fun and/or challenge in the long run.

- We have had the Precious Stones plugin enabled for some time, but I haven't activated it. It basically allows you to stake a claim and protect a cubic area from other players. It's hugely complex, and there are a lot of potential issues with it. We need to decide which options will be available. IF we use the special blocks, like the proximity mines, etc, it's going to be on a purchase system and placed where you want them by an admin. Otherwise it would be a mega grief tool, which PiCE Bastards would employ to great effect no doubt. There are also really bad ass things like Water Breathing, Proximity heals/drains, creature repellers (prevents spawns in a 41x41x41 area!) So we'll need to set prices on these - proceeds going to the community build fund.

Check out the details here:

Precious Stones

- PVP: Once pstones are in effect, we will enable PvP... this doesn't mean the server is supposed to be a warzone, but it will be much more realistic.

Right now, I believe that the only way to implement PvP is to turn it ON and then set up safe-zones. If anyone knows of a way to do the opposite, I.e, turn it on ONLY in specified areas, let me know and we'll consider that.

Things that need to be worked out:

- PvP-free Zones... spawn, certain cities, and perhaps the ability for players/groups to purchase PvP protection for their own holdings.

- Traps, destruction, raiding - with Pstones available, as well as the built-in chest protection, there is really no reason to disallow this stuff. As far as trapping your own stuff, I think "No Trespassing" signs should be used, but should this be a rule?

- Destroying/Raiding other players: The main issue here is that a lot of people are currently (and perhaps permanently) dormant. 80HD/HTP has an extremely vast area I will have to set protection on, so there is no way I will have the time and resources to go around and protect the millions of square blocks of structures that other players have built. There are a couple of options here, but whatever the solution is it cannot depend upon the honor system. I was thinking about trying to set blanket protection across the entire old-world, but that would/will take literally days to do. It would also basically shellac the old world as no changes could be made there. There is a PStone option for "Build Your Own" but I dunno what the limitations are... I would imagine trying to make a mega protect block to cover massive areas would cause big issues on the server side of things.

So that being said, any suggestions?

I will get PStones up ASAP, once it is done, we'll be running a PvP test sometime this weekend or before.

SO COME SHOOT ME.
_