Author: SuRGe- <[email protected]>     Reply to Message
Date: 6/28/2010 12:28:23 PM
Subject: Google Enterprise

Has anyone moved or in the process of moving a mid-sized or larger company to Google Enterprise?

When it first came out I looked into it a bit, I thought it would be great for my smaller clients... Anyone else that already had their shit in place I was starting to suggest Google Docs to the power users to get their feedback.. But that is free... No need to fully convert their domain/email etc..

In most cases I don't see the full on need for Google Enterprise at $50 a person....

Maybe if the admins were spending too much time dealing with email and file server "crap" but really, wtf can it help the IT staff with? I can kind of picture where if your company is so large, moving portions/divisions off to this.. So to me it fits for smaller businesses, and very large businesses...

Also, you have to convert your existing users to something else (not "really" in all cases.) Then you have to re-train all of your users to use it, AND understand what is going on.. I am just now getting some users comfortable with email and sharing files on the "server drive" so shit gets backed up. I see it as a huge learning curve for most of my users...

Plus that doesn't even touch anything that has been custom built for your email/documents/databases/etc. Downtime from internet, relying on Google if there is a problem...

Not really asking for $ figures or ROI.

Just wondering what other IT people are currently pondering about this solution, or others like it...
_