Author: chacha <[email protected]>     Reply to Message
Date: 6/22/2010 7:44:26 AM
Subject: Lightweight AV

We are currently using McAfee Total Protection as it was bundled with our SonicWALLs. It sucks total ass, especially when using IE8. Many of our PCs in the retail locations are still running P4s - some as slow as 2.4 GHz with 512 MB of RAM. We also have some IBM T30 and T23 laptops in the field!

Our subscription for McAfee expires in October so I am looking at alternatives. I haven't used Anti-Virus in a long time (Linux/Mac user) so I haven't really kept up. That said, with the results of my research I think I've narrowed my possible choices down to 2:

Sunbelt's VIPRE Enterprise
ESET's NOD32

Both are supposed to be very lightweight and that is a big deal. I really like the VIPRE administration console - it is very straight forward and it works. Using identical computers in my lab, I am seeing that a computer running VIPRE uses 105-110 less MB of RAM at idle than one running McAfee. Also, the first opening of IE 8 takes TEN seconds less on the VIPRE computer.

Can anyone speak for NOD32 at a corporate level? Is the speed similar to VIPRE? How about the security level which I guess is also fairly important? I'm going to start a trial of that soon and if anyone can recommend some others that I've missed I am game.

Thanks!
_