Author: jabes <[email protected]>     Reply to Message
Date: 9/19/2006 7:34:26 AM
Subject: PS outfit wars

(posted this on another forum)

Last night I was playing with Hells' Rangers and while we were playing a note came up for a Sunday Night event; Outfit Wars 30v30.

We had a full platoon minus a couple of people, the VS side had an entire outfit, maybe a few stand-ins, I didn't recognize any of their names. The TR outfit we sub'd for was the 'Red Berets' since Hells' Rangers are a pretty small outfit, we only had 1 full squad and the OL didn't want to merge onto Domer Pyle's vent.

The setting was old oshur, one base a piece. Hacking other bases was forbidden so was hacking towers. We pulled a router/ams combo, I pulled a skeeter, and went on air cover. We had one tank pulled from our squad and another squad pulled a prowler and a skyguard.

I am a pretty horrible pilot, more of a bailure, so I dropped on the tower and just kind of held shit around that place. Kept harassing their magriders and they had 2 BFR's on defense. They actually had a setup on D, they didn't lay any CE and just trusted in their Eclipses' running us over, which they did a pretty good job at despite alot of deci/striker/prowler fire from us. We had a couple of AMS setup waaaayy outside the SOI, too far to footzerg, yet we still footzerg'd it from there. Probably our worst choice. You can't hack a term at a neutral base after all.

Our AMS drivers were pretty piss poor and so was our organization. The router/AMS combo actually got setup and then destroyed. After about an hour into the match we started getting a little frustrated because we were just running around like idiots. The squad that was supposed to be on D, jumped in our tanks and we had a nice column of 3 Prowlers 1 skyguard running against their 3 mags, eventually they sat a mag, and took 2 reavers, 1 mag and 1 skyguard, that was a pretty tough combination actually. After a solid tank run, I decided I'd pull a sneaky AMS, since the NE corner of Oshur is pretty hilly and they were pushing hard on our SE flank, I chose to drive the long way around the OTHER way our AMS hadn't been running.

I had no air cover and no support, but got my AMS there and setup just North of the tower their mags were pushed up to our front door at this point and our infantry was keeping the eclipse' busy. A squadie pulled a router up 100m in front of my ams and we took down their gens, then their tubes. We kind of slacked on getting the tubes down, despite having the router/ams combo setup in the basement.

Meanwhile, our Defense is a bunch of idiots. NO backup AMS setup in the SOI, no triple backup AMS setup there (GRRRR), which since we had atleast 3 guys devoted to killing their droppers and resetting up CE, we should have had an AMS. We're holding their base, making sure they don't try and come repair it, when we decide we've got 12 too many guys holding their base. Since we only had my AMS, people start clammoring for me to move it.

I move it, but we get an AMS setup in our own CY before I start moving it. I run it over to our base, their entire platoon is in our CY/Base waiting for shit to come inside the walls, no one on my squad comm'd this, so, I was pretty pissed to lose my AMS to lancer fire outside of our veh bay.

But, Payback setup an AMS over a hill just south east of our base, we start footing it in, after 2 runs thru the Veh Bay we have about 2 minutes left to get in and resecure. I pipe up on vent 'STOP GOING IN ONE AT A FUCKING TIME, REPAIR EACH OTHER AND WAIT FOR A GROUP'

A bunch of our guys push in and leave the remaining 4-5 defending the CC half dead. we've got two cloakers, and I'm in rexo/MCG/deci/plasma nade mode. I throw a p-nade, then whip out the MCG and start mowing, I knock down 2 of them and keep pushing, I pop a med pack, circle circle strafe, at the CC, 2 more to go 'CLOAKERS, GET IN HERE' as I pop another med pack, down to 60 health, 20 armor, dodge some lasher fire miraclously, and finish off the last one holding onto our CC. I pop my last med pack and with 18~21 seconds left (I thought there was about 18-19 seconds, Payback says he was LOOKING at the CC and it said 21 when he started.. I believe him but, its PSide, some shit is bound to go wrong). we start the resecure.

There was only 5 minutes left in the match so we had to have a resecure and not a re-hack. We failed at the resecure and they won. If we resecured we had ~3 guys waiting at their CC and holding it down over there. I think we PROBABLY would have won because they gambled pretty hardcore on our base. We weren't expecting with ~5 minutes left for them to pull the goalie and go balls out on our base. We were all new to the outfit wars (including most of the VS) but they still had a better gameplan than us.

Thats my review of it. It was alot of fun, probably the most fun I've had playing PS for awhile. I'd REALLY like to do it again with a group of guys that ALL want to be organized together. Sure, have outfits seperated on different channels/TS/Vents but the OL/SLs have to be in the same channel together, otherwise, the communication & cohesion sucks ass.

_