Author: Noob <[email protected]>     Reply to Message
Date: 11/22/2001 9:05:03 PM
Subject: RE: oooh now its spain

"I think more effort should be spent in finding ways to reform rather then punish, it's widely believed among psychiatrists that punishment is counter-active whereas reform is helpful. Lot's of statistics point to lack of education being one of the prime reasons behind re-offenders, and first time offenders as well."

If you murder someone and are in prison for life reform is pointless. Last time I checked prisons in NY are set up so you MUST get your GED if you do not yet have one.

"Also, what about murders of passion? Your wife gets brutally raped in an alley...and you track the guy down the next day and shoot him, do you deserve to die?"

Not every person that murders someone else gets sent to death row. In the case above I am sure the the person would not be sent to death ... that is saved for people who murder children, or murder for no real reason at all (like for someones shoes).

"I guess I don't see the point in it, the death penalty can't be a punishment, since punishment is aimed at changing behaviour...and it's not a deterrent (statiscally proven), so what is it really doing? It doesn't stop people from killing people, and it can't change them. I think that's my problem understanding the need for it. "

We cant really be sure of anything that is statiscally proven as it is still only speculation ... You need to remember that being sent to death row is only and option if the other choice is life in prison, so the criminal will never be free. So would you rather spend 20k over 50 years (100,000 dollars) on someone who killed without reason or kill him, an eye for an eye after all.
_