Author: {wf}shadowspawn <shadowspawn_at shadowspawn.net>     Reply to Message
Date: 6/16/2005 9:47:03 AM
Subject: you guys

remember i had to have allot of operations on my left hand, and coding for work takes about 4-5x as long one-handed. so i really haven't had free time. my job isn't the kind i can just take off for; yea i guess i could've gone onto dissability but that doesn't mean the clients would still be there afterwards.

anyhow...

i just fired up another client on my htpc for remote debugging and testing the problems i'm having with prediction. basically the server is set up on a "slut" staging server in philly, pa, the clients, here in austin, are connected via a VPN connection. from time to time my sister or a friend from work will connect and test stuff out from wherever they are, also over the vpn.

doing this over the vpn helps simulate latency. on the lan or over the regular internet i get around under 30ms pings so that's not best to test, the vpn tunnel adds about twice as much overhead as a normal udp tunnel bringing pings to average around 100.

gotta remember that this doesn't use as much bandwidth as q3, it uses about 1/10th of it to move the same amount of traffic; unfortunately the trade-off has now become either double-checking/sanity checking on the client side, which means more horsepower is needed on the client, or upping the bandwidth, which means a fatter pipe is needed (like q3 requires to function over the internet).

haven't come to a decision on that yet.

_