Author: klonax <[email protected]>     Reply to Message
Date: 9/29/2004 8:19:32 AM
Subject: RE: SS and Zith

Well I must admit that the Euro community fell apart not too long after WFA 3.5 came out and I couldn't witness the lifespan/success of the new & the remade maps.
Indeed from what I've been able to gather since my comeback, 3level2 seems to get much love and playtime. I ain't gonna complain of course and it also kinda makes me happy/proud to have been able to kick some more life into slacker's creation (not to mention the satisfaction of providing fun & entertainment to other people).
Nevertheless, you should realise that it's success might have been boosted by the lack of support for the whole lot of older maps (pre-3.5, but you know what I mean). I could also say that the community dropped dramatically in numbers since the 3.5 and thus it doesn't qualify 3lvl2 as a widespread classic even with its supposed late success.
I will also have to refute Niall's argument : a WFA classic is very suitable for a remake, otherwise we would only get to reuse old q2wf maps. I don't think it's fair enough.
The WFA specific maps were as good as the WF ones quality wise. The 'WF+WFA success' factor alone isn't gonna stop us.

Anyway, I want to be clear about certain points. I'm not saying 3level2 or Gensurf or whatever map will not get remade. I just want you guys to understand that the quality expectations for the WFR maps are very high, this is one of the main objectives of the devteam. Because, to steal Static's words : "the mappers are those who sell the mod, the coders are those who keeps people playing".
Those quality expectations make it so there will probably be a smaller pool of maps, at least first.

I could enumerate a number of wfa maps that are worthy of a remake and considered as true classics by some people : 2strong, sky, cruel, denali, acid, etc... I could go on.
AND let me say that I would be the first happy to see all those maps up and running with WFR.

_