Author: klonax <[email protected]>     Reply to Message
Date: 9/15/2004 11:32:04 PM
Subject: RE: Continuation of my earlier post...

I think you're missing the point of our previous posts about the grapple. We're not "q2wf lovers" nor wfa haters for that matter. I think we've been around enough time to play, enjoy and love both of those mods actually. We're not here to bash wfa's grapple. I personally loved it to death to be honest.
The point is, wfa's time is over and now that we're creating a new incarnation of the Weapon's Factory franchise it's time to look back and see what worked and what didn't with the experience and expertise that is ours now.

Of course the grapple was fun to play with and great to learn and master, I'm not doubting that fact. But let's get the facts straight : if you look at it from an objective point of view, it created an unbalance which wfa never could overcome. Everything else in the game had to be tweaked accordingly and all of this made the game un-attractive to newcomers.

I admit it's hard to realise when you've had so much fun with it, but that's how it is. I don't think you can refute the expertise of such people as solicitor & tonester and I don't think you can discuss their love for this game either, so maybe if they come to this conclusion there's some hidden truth to it.

You said : "some of what attracted people to the game and made it so intense was the speed of it all". Well first, the sole thing that made wfa faster than other mods was the grapple. Now is speed an important factor in the attractiveness of a game to the average gamer ? Hmm let's take a look at the all-time reference in terms of mods... Did someone say CS ? I think it's pretty much self-explanatory.

Now let's talk about the future. Will WFR have a grapple ? Most probably yes. Will it be different from the wfa one ? Most certainly, as the wfa one was different from the wf one. Will it be uncool because of it? I don't think so. The difference here is that the grapple was part of q2 & q3 so mod teams pretty much took it as it was and didn't edit it much. It's not included this time around so we'll have the liberty of creating it ourselves and doing whatever we want with it. I'm pretty sure we'll make the most of it and I can guaranty you'll like it and the mod in general.

Ok, now about the discussion between old time players and the devteam, you'd be surprised how much we read and acknowledge everything that is written in these forums. Ironically and as V3 stated in the dev forums, pretty much every proposition that has been made here until now had already been adressed. I personally asked zith about giving someone the job of gathering the most interesting ideas the players come up with and reporting them to the devteam.
You should also know that we want to spread the word about WFR as much as you but we just don't want to rush anything. Once we have some real solid stuff we'll go public. That way we'll be taken seriously from the start and not considered as a rushed/amateurish mod.

Finally I want to add this so you see I know what I'm talking about.
You might not know me cuz I'm euro but if you want my resume :

- I've been playing q2wf (=UD=, [N2])
- wfa ([E], ?h?, [NOV])
- Won 2 EuroCup titles, 2 times runner up
- Been ref 4 seasons
- Been level designer in the WFA devteam, creating maps such as kheops, arctic & remaking 3level1.
- I'm now in the WF:R devteam.

I think I've been involved as much as you get.
_