Author: Hoak <[email protected]>     Reply to Message
Date: 8/5/2004 5:39:31 AM
Subject: AFTERWARDS

One of my many little projects has been building and maintaining a AFTERWARDS; a unique little Q3A mod on several counts -- a sort of cross-over post-apocalyptic Counter-Strike mod for Q3A.

What's unique about AFTERWARDS is that it's: designed from the ground up to play on or below the minimum Q3A system requirement, is incredibly feature complete with eighteen unique weapons, eleven unique missions, all the familiar C-S play modes and then some, really nice atmospheric aesthetics in spite of the fact that it's intentionally a very low poly mod, original animations, and really good level design from a game-play perspective. AFTERWARDS is a great game to take along on that crappy laptop or for something for the kids to do at Grandma's house on her old Packard Bell.

But the coolest thing and most relevant to this forum is the AFTERWARDS Developers have Open Sourced all their work. While only the source code is immediately available for download; from my conversations with team members I'm confident they'd turn loose all the models, textures, animations, and what not in the mod to any sincere party putting them to good use.

What I'm wondering is, how much of a porting effort would it be to drag a mod like AFTERWARDS from Q3A to Fusion? This isn't something I could do myself, but I imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to interest a few Programmers I know if I could give them an honest and accurate assay of what's involved. Of course AFTERWARDS is not complete in the art asset department and depends on Q3A for some of them, so that's another obvious consideration that I really have no handle on as far as the volume of work concerned in creating and/or importing models to Fusion.

If the prospect of porting isn't a complete nightmare AFTERWARDS could offer a really fine arcation of ready built work to get something up and rolling quickly and as a sort of Fusion Open Source test bed; and fun free cross platform game.

But would porting a mod like this be a real twister?

_