Author: trash <[email protected]>     Reply to Message
Date: 8/2/2004 11:57:05 AM
Subject: RE: So are people going to play fusion?

gogo missing the point =/... I mentioned only 1 "thing which is bad about wfa" (trouble getting started)... and that was only really just an afterthought, most of my post was glorifying wfa. The bit about staleness is not a design flaw, it's just a reality of aging.

CS's (and new CS clones') popularity remains, as do vanilla dm/ctf's, because they are not as gimmicky as wfa... don't base their popularity on having new and different things. CS-alikes are just realism games, and the other base gameplay forms that big game companies just tried to make as best they could. The point is that wfa doesn't try to do this, it tries to be something new and different... and once the differences fade/blur, it becomes hard to attract a new playerbase.

My post had nothing to do with longevity.... except for the part where I said wfa's very strong foundation accounted for why its hardcore has proved so durable and lasting. So, very basic recap: Yes wfa lasted a long time for a mod, but no I don't think any new wf/tf clone will become radically more popular if they were released.
_