Author: Airon <[email protected]>     Reply to Message
Date: 9/9/2004 3:17:16 PM
Subject: RE: Better Sound Render

Hi
I'm the guy responsible for the TC 1.2 sounds.
Just a quick message to clear things up here.

The sounds were not meant to be precise or realistic. They were developed from a desire to mold stuff to my own liking in the beginning, so much is true. Right on the first release of those sounds, and at the time I wasn't part of the dev team, I worked on them from feedback of the players and continued to do so up untill the release. This is always a balance between implementing suggestions and ignoring them.

There wasn't a budget. The only freshly recorded material were some foleys.

That radio mess, as you referred to it, is a compromise on speech clarity and realism. Once again, it wasn't important to emulate real radios, so I winged some distortion that would have the speech be listenable and intelligable.

For most part I used very little consistance of reverb and convolution, which also comes from the using lots of gun and cannon tails for this.

Shure it ain't perfect. It works for the players though, and with the time I had to work on them, I'm fairly satisfied with the soundscape of TC 1.2, which the ambience work of some levels is part of as well. It was quite a learning experience for me too, only having worked on tv and film stuff previously to this regard.

Dealing with these kinds of dynamic constraints, which I tried to pull apart a bit, as you may have noticed, was a nice challenge so far.

Take care
Airon/TT
_