Author: {wf}shadowspawn <shadowspawn_at_shadowspawn.net>     Reply to Message
Date: 7/29/2004 2:15:20 AM
Subject: RE: Better Sound Render

"Arguably the largest issue confronting fidelity in game sound render"....

is compatability. i swear to god its another of the things that make console-based os's so attractive. if i were to port wff to nix-modded x-boxes i KNOW what everyone would hear. the problem is, allot of the times, is that people have whacked-assed drivers.

what i was always picturing was a dxdiag-type initial launch "helper" application that would test the sound cards. i mean even dxdiag points to no problems for me, but even t2 i have issues from time to time with crunches, pings, bleeps, etc. bad compression/decompression.

i'm all for sound. one of the things vic and i were talking about, because i'm making a list of all my api changes to the qfusion core, was my hacking fmod all over the place. that was tough as hell to do client-side and is only 1/10 realized; i'd love to just shove the coords and details over to fmod and have it sort it out, but the sad part is unless your system is stable, it might come out distorted.

you don't have to tell me how important sound is, but it's good to know others realize how much an integral part it is with any environmental design, be it games or even a portable mp3 player.

_