Author: {wf}shadowspawn <shadowspawn_at_shadowspawn.net>     Reply to Message
Date: 6/8/2004 5:32:34 PM
Subject: RE: it's bike week in austin

oh. ok well i've been working on the model skins for bumpmapping, etc. and a new model type that uses bones and i hate animating almost as bad as skinning, and i was remembering how the people that made the video game for Blade Runner and the movie Heavy Metal 2 used motion sampling by strapping on white "pingpong" balls onto black jumpsuits. by using those points of reference one could rotate the whole sampled model from any position, think of them as points of reference.

now here i am outside and looking at the structures around me and notice, somehow, that there were "pingpong" balls on what i saw as important points of reference along the structures, made me do a double-take. ok so i'm thinking that's pretty cool, maybe they are working on that new phone system being deployed next year where the cell phones will know where they are by looking for points of reference on buildings. but why do that when there are crowds? and why just one camera that doesn't move?

so i went up and asked what it was. the balls were used to figure out where a target is in reference to the area and for taking multiple samples from other cameras that i didn't see.

its just vector math stuff. anyway i had no time to update anything, but had a cool time downtown. i'm working on the dot3 bumpmapping stuff atm, but cvs is updated allot. got someone doing models already to test the new bone style and box-around-bone hitscan stuff.
_