Author: {wf}shadowspawn <shadowspawn_at_shadowspawn.net>     Reply to Message
Date: 6/1/2004 12:57:38 AM
Subject: q3map2 -game qfusion... recompile some maps?

new switch, ydnar added it to the gtk trunk.

been playing with it all weekend. its very complex. you compile lightmaps with normalmaps to make bumpmaps, but dynamic lights can use heightmaps and specular maps. so if the majority of the world is static lit, you can plop a dynamic light and as the models pass through it, the dot3 stuff (if the video card can perform it, that's another twist with if/elseif in the shader scripts now) will show up. since its technically another shader pass or two it has the ability to be "turned off" for performance, but most cards will perform ok greater then a gf3.

the new bsp format is basically using an offshoot of raven's format, rbsp, but with 512x512 lightmaps (compared to everyone else's 128x128). styled lighting and styled lightgrid. they are not backwards compatible with any id game tho, but older maps still work fine with the engine so no worries about breaking old maps.

maybe none with some cards noticed the difference with dynamic light on the latest alphas, but they are very kick ass. i didn't create normalmaps or specular maps for the current models because they are q3, but maybe i will for the weapons and specials.

also, lighting has been twigged with something called dirtmapping, or a "dirty" stage that softens corners. not phong, just sorta scatters it around, courtesy of Rap7or of truecombat. this really really helps the looks of the maps.

im running cancer3 through this new stuff as a test. might be kinda cool to revisit all the 3.3/3.5 maps and add in all the really cool bumpmapping stuff, but thats renderer specific.

simtex helped me squash some bugs over the weekend, im still having problems with my netcode tho. sometimes ents just don't show up, and im not sure why. also messing with prediction.
_