Author: {wf}shadowspawn <shadowspawn_at_shadowspawn.net>     Reply to Message
Date: 4/6/2004 12:32:27 AM
Subject: RE: Magnotron's suck

thats why i never had a problem with him. its when something was exploited it became a bitch; i used to do some cheesy stuff but people adjusted for it. Fast Fire was a bug, i never used it. Shooting through glass on banter or 2fortSE, I did that all the time. sitting on a depot as a merc, i loved that shit.

back when postal came out i used to stick a sentry gun right on the top light of the lower spawn, the one that's right outside the front entrance. so it'd whack people when they first spawned.

it used to piss people off seriously, but all you had to do was spawn, run away from it with spawn protection still on, then just kill it. most people just stared at it like 'omg its killing me' then used to bitch. then a few skilled people who knew how to play the game would simply just kick my ass or constantly hunt me down, keeping me busy, while someone else took the flag.

wf fusion brings back the newness of the game, where everything is possible. laser spawning, defensive borgs, bringing back the spamming power of defense but with trade-offs, like the mega is much more tougher to deal against vs the wfa one but has a much tighter spread. The gunner has as much armor as the cyborg, and when a gunner goes offense she can take much more of a beating vs damage dished out then a cyborg.

A gunner can sit in the middle of 3 sentries while they pound her and take them all out with the mega and still have health and red armor left. But on defense I hated the mega, i used the chaingun and wandered and chased people by playing forward defense. If they made it past me, the mega came out and they never left the door. I think people forget how powerful the mega is compared to wfa's; it really rips through the players faster then wfa's but is so tight it's hard to control. That whole alt-fire mess during 1.29 never bothered many people who played q2wf because, well, it was almost as accurate to q2wf; it was on it's way.

Its basically a balance, a true balance between tight power and loose visual spam. those clusters don't do anything really damage wise, but they kick your view around allot and are LOUD. the power to the classes demands the players to launch a coordinated offense or dig in a coordinated defense, something wfa lost in its early years (remember "For the Player" PR push? that was opposite of "For the Team" foundation), but damn static and acrid sure did their best, successfully, to patch around it with tweaks everywhere.

if only wfa took q2wf's version of TF there would probably never have been a q3f.

By maintaining code, adjusting where neccessary for server performance (or where i decided to as far as effects) but using wfa media. yes it's gonna have bugs (one of the reasons for GPL), but it will no longer be a weak, scaled down version of the Team Fortress game it was birthed from.

All the complaints about WFA not being like Q2WF, from all the past Q2WF players stems from some really, really simple math-related oversights.

Even ID did the same thing, but since they only have 2 weapons that were affected noone really noticed.

Q3 changed scale by 1/3, WFA never took that into consideration for all entity functions. Thats why stuff just seems weak for defense; it's 1/3 the amount for ALL distance checks. It was simple; it was the FIRST THING I noticed while going over code comparing q2 to q3.

the 2nd thing was the damage/distance ratio, q3 went linear, q2wf was algorythmic. the 3rd was the sentry had code that was made to work with q2, not q3 entities so it missed a helluva lot more then it was ever designed to, basically weakening it by 50%.

WFA is really nowhere near Q2WF at all. It has the same names for the classes, same weapons, but the balance is as different as light and day. Q3F is like Q2WF/TF on opium or better yet, codine... WFA is like Q2WF/TF on meth or p2p.

I know WF Fusion won't be that popular, it wasn't concieved to be. It's just a proof of concept, nothing more.

I have high hopes on HL2's TF, but I do have confidence that if HL2 borks the Team Fortress origins WF Fusion will have the back end, renderer, and code to make TF as it was but with today's FPS standards integrated in as a potential if it ever picks up.
_