Author: Hoak <hoakathushmaildotcom>     Reply to Message
Date: 4/2/2004 7:56:14 AM
Subject: Ballistic Trace Hit Scan Weapons?

While this probably has very little application to WFA or WFF, it is an interesting discussion that may have application to ShadowSpawn's TC project.

Some interesting realism game design discussion centers around projectile code (or p-code) vs. hit-scan sometimes called ray-trace weapons. Esoteric realism aficionados swear by p-code weapons for it's realism, but is subject to lag, high resource overhead and a slew of other game design obstacles I've seen argued to a degree of granularity I can't comprehend.

One argument that has veracity, that I think I can add to is that p-code weapons do in fact offer one compelling element for effecting good realism game design (which may actually be valuable in other kinds of games) and that is ballistic trajectory.

While I only know of one finished game that offers ballistic trajectory based bullet/projectiles (Red Orchestra) the premise that it offers more realism is also complemented by the facts that it offers a powerful tool in balancing weapons, and a smooth and discernible set of limits to weapon performance that offers valuable addition to a games skill curve.

My question for ShadowSpawn or any that can authoritatively respond: Is it possible to create curved function hit-scan weapons code with hyperbolic or asymptotic slop curved hit traces? Could this function be deformed by script to create different weapon ballistics? Would such weapon trajectory code incur much of a resource penalty?

I suppose a simpler approach of multiple linear traces might be as suitable but my interest is in real curve functions...

_