Author: trash <[email protected]>     Reply to Message
Date: 2/25/2004 1:28:51 AM
Subject: RE: This post is in the spirit of the old maps

nah, it's mapping for another game :P... and uh turns out they had suitable effects already... at least suitable enough compared to the nothing this post and 15some minutes of googling got me :P. I kinda wanted howling wind but games dont tend to have that since its annoying (go figure)... movies do though... and a few of my assorted childhood memories :D. It's just my want for it has dropped below the threshhold of putting forth extra effort to attain it.

I am kinda proud of my little savage map now, I feel like posting some screenies here, but I'm too cheap/lame to have webspace.

anyway, w/e :P.

The savage mapping thing was quite an adventure in actually getting a map done... I tried mapping for wfa a few times, but my patience always wore out before I got to a fairly knowledgable stage where I could steadily work comfortably.

I think if I tried my hand at wfa mapping again, I could actually put forth the couple of map ideas that grew in my head over the course of playing. The whole process seems a lot more comprehensible now... like before I knew what shaders were and what they looked like (but not how to make/edit them)... now I know I can just unzip a pk3 and look at them. Same for textures etc.

I think if I mapped for wfa I'd try the little plugin for terrain maps (savage mapping is all terrain maps... so that helps the familiarity a little), that lets you convert simple greyscale heightmaps... then I'd just do 2 greyscales, 1 for the floor and 1 for the ceiling, and only have to deal with the editor for intervening spaces and texturing/lighting etc. That would cut down a lot on time spent shaping polys.

Anyway this is just me aimlessly rambling. peace
_