Author: {wf}shadowspawn <shadowspawn_at_shadowspawn_dot_net>     Reply to Message
Date: 2/5/2004 2:42:07 PM
Subject: RE: What the hell... ??

i said engine side, didn't say server-side. like not in cgame or game, but in the actual rendering engine.

instead of a refdef under a normal refdef, do how mirror portals are made and use the ents not as a 'is it in pvs or not' but use the shader as an actual surface indicator, like a mirror uses the parm 'portal'. its not a surface/contents flag compiled in the bsp.

so instead of 2 scenes rendered on top of each other and the skyportal just 'peeking' through homs, it'd just be on the texture.

it also allows turning off skyportals without a vid_restart and just hooking into the r_fastsky rendering. i already did this with the way i was trying to do skyportals from way back (making one big mirror portal), but i still ran into a wall when working with the player's point of view (not to mention trippy zooms).

i dunno i was MESSING with it didn't say i'd get it to work. i was able to make a decal (remember spraypaint?) cam portal. was trying to make a sentrycam and broke something (all doors became portals showing the sentry's eye) so i messed with it some more.

thought the camera portal was kinda cool tho. still needs work but i was just picturing a spy planting one where a gunner can watch the front entrance of the base, or in the spawn room where offense could see what's what before they leave the ammo room.

its no way enabled, i was just testing stuff working with getting the hang of portals.

_