Author: {wf}shadowspawn <shadowspawn_at_shadowspawn_dot_net>     Reply to Message
Date: 1/28/2004 11:57:08 AM
Subject: RE: P.S.

yea i was toying with creating a uid file. like ET does.
i got it working 2 ways too.

just don't know where to stick the uid check yet on a client connect, the network protocol is kinda delicate. i did create it, just dunno where to read it (game vs engine)

I could let the game.dll read it tho, it's the easiest way. just send it over as a config string. let the server issue a cmd like ET does, where admins can reject uid strings less then x days old. the uid is based on the cpu id string, date, and the time of first launch. this way servers could reject uid's that are less then X days old, for example, again like ET does.

it's a free game, just gotta be able to stop llamas. not that i think there will be allot of them, but since there are some (and some are just listed as "examples" in the supplied ip ban list) and those that where previously lame probably can't handle doing anything in the game to be effective anyway.

what was lame, and vs what is lame, is a whole different ball game. people who think they know how to lame wfa and who never rolled in q2wf really won't be able to make an impact with the big boys of of years past, so i don't see much of an issue.

but just in case i'm still working and testing this stuff.

since allot of it is network related i need to test this stuff on linux. surge at proline is giving me a port for this testing too.

_