Author: {wf}shadowspawn <shadowspawn_at_shadowspawn_dot_net>     Reply to Message
Date: 1/8/2004 8:10:21 AM
Subject: RE: One more thing ...

owned, ownage.

means its better.

i had to modify the databases already because of the weapon order and class order changes.

no, sourcesafe doesn't merge as well; plus i have allot of sources im merging atm.

here's the procedure, for anyone who is curious about the history of wff:

grabbed every source of wf there was, including 5.0.

started with 3.1. fired up a cvs server with cvsnt/viewcvs on an nt4 box.

brought q2 modsource into it
brought q2 source into it.
brought 3.1, 3.3, 4.x's into it, one merge at a time. just basically replaced files so i could use viewcvs to diff between them all. brought bits and pieces of 5.0 into it to see what 5.0 actually changed, hunt and peck method. now i could build q2,q2wf 4.6(?) with basic fixes from 4.25 from 5.0.

blasted in qfusion r5.1 minus /game, pounded away at adapting game to it, static added in some pmove fixes, others added in other fixes... it became the first wff alpha 1.x. took that to quakecon for testing.

stored that repository, worked with jalisko on his splitmod for r5.2 that used md3's and fusionbots, an adaptation of acebot. tweaked that allot, then started a new repository. the r5.2 was the cgame split. i took what i had in wff 1.x and brought that, bit by bit, into what became wff 2.x; rewriting just about every piece of code from scratch except for some things like class configuration loading, some class management, some stuff in wf_misc.c; seperated all wf code from stock r5.2splitmod code; ripped apart the weapon files and made new ones for all weapons (except the bfg, thats just plain old commented out). all weapons have their own files, no more dozen modified q2 stock weapons in the same file. all that was to keep sanity.

i had to modify allot of the engine to accomodate effects, decoys, new stuff in cgame and triggers, new collision detection, more data for client/server chat, allot of things. so now wff is really no longer qfusion, its a splinter modification of it. to do a simple diff just won't work, i need to track the progress of r5.2 to r6, as well as r5.2 splitmod to r6 splitmod (which jalisko is working on), as well as keep a weary eye on wff 1.x and 5.0, while keeping an active 4.2x around for questionable code i may have brought over from 5.0 that wasn't needed, even have q3 modsource open to check for some differences in physics and movers to accomodate the map entities. no wfa code is in this at all, except for what q2wf code is in wfa; but most q2wf code that is in wfa is still broken in wfa (sentry code, turret code, proxy code, laser code, etc) so none of it is used. the sentry from wfa i didn't even look at except to point bugs out to static that have existed since wfa started out; things i noticed during my complete rewrite of wf.

so no, sourcesafe won't work. it will after beta release, but for this period, no.

_