Author: {wf}shadowspawn <shadowspawn_at_shadowspawn_dot_net>     Reply to Message
Date: 1/3/2004 9:14:06 PM
Subject: compass, revisited

the red flag base now plays a very important role. if it's not in the map (zoid-style) it'll be spawned at the world's extents (65535,65535,65535).

it does a few things.
1. it spawns.
2. it scans for all flags to see if they are present. if they are, it broadcasts every 5 seconds the origins.
3. if the flags are not present (dropped, nonsolid) it broadcasts after scaning for them and finding them, then calms down to once every 5 seconds.
4. if the flags are not present and not dropped, it then scans each player for the flag. once it finds it, its thinking to once every 1 second +/- .1 random.
5. if noone has the flag, they are not solid, and not present in the game structure, it resets it. no CHANCE of a flag dissapearing.

in ctf: if a player picks up the flag with the global event, a find for the ent is done and the new think time starts immediately.

all calculations are now done on the client side based on predicted origins. i had to create some pretty nifty vector functions (ok, well i copied and redid them from old q2 monster code).

you have the same compass commands, except they are engine side and set a client-side var. there is also a number 3 compass (there was originally compass 1/offense, compass 2/defense, just compass alone to cycle) that looks like this.

i have the q2wf one being drawn at the same time. this isn't done, needs a better 'body' but you get the idea.

http://www.shadowspawn.net/temp/compass2a.avi

_