Author: {wf}shadowspawn <shadowspawn_at_shadowspawn_dot_net>     Reply to Message
Date: 1/2/2004 10:25:35 AM
Subject: RE: Requests for Fusion

sorta. see the way q3 works everything in the *_items.c file is loaded when a client connects. you know, when you hit a server you see the players loading up? you see it loading some icons.

what's happening is the server is sending your client exe all the userinfostrings of all the connected clients; thats why you see the pic of the person loading; its loading their skins. also everything that is loaded during the initializing of the items, the search for items during the level load is sent to your client. if there is no rocket launcher on the level, and you connect, you don't see the rocket launcher. if however someone has the rocket launcher, you load the rocket launcher.

now take wfa. ALL those weapons are loaded to ALL the clients right off the bat. all the skins are loaded as well. you have instead of just 5-6 skins, you have 19 skins and 10 player sounds, 3 sets of footstep sounds loaded -before- you even synch up with the server. you also have all the feedback sounds, the weapon models, the special models, the special sounds, etc... ALL loaded. precached.

as I said i'm not saying -no-, i'm saying yea i'll throw it in there if someone makes skin names for em. IF there is a problem, its easy enough to turn it off. i don't care if people mess with it after i release it, find bugs, fix optimization, etc.. thats what open source is.

what i will do tho is make a custom var for the server for the admin to allow it, thats all, and add it to the server browser info string. its not tough to do, its just playing with fire that's all. i don't mind doing it to see if it'd break or be that final straw memory wise.

_