Author: {wf}shadowspawn <shadowspawn_at_shadowspawn_dot_net>     Reply to Message
Date: 1/2/2004 9:28:00 AM
Subject: RE: Requests for Fusion

the skin management already shoves about 30mb more memory into the video card that is never freed, as it is since everyone is deferred as stock skins. i can add the skins if they are named something like brightredengineer or redengineerbright but it's gonna lock up some clients; i'm pushing EVERY entity, every skin, every md3 and sound into the client on game init/connect. basically i had a choice for allot of things, skins took a back seat. i'll put it in there if someone makes some cool ones and just have cg_brightskins 1 or something. all it is really is a check for the var and an additional sprintf line client-side. changing it on the fly might lock people up tho, i'll just have em do a vid_restart maybe. dunno, find em first.

the renderer is very touchy atm, it was hard enough to get vertex working.

there is no picmip or LOD. sorta. there is a lod for patches, but none for md3's. use your video card drivers to blur stuff up. there is mipmap level details tho.

after i get this up and stable i'm moving over to the darkplaces style renderer; bumpmaps, heightmaps, etc.

keep in mind mock (roll-your-own version server-side) works, as well as being an open source project any problems that couldn't be figured out, if someone has a fix that i couldn't figure out, then i'll put it in.

i'm only latching a few vars as it is; the polyblends and the pitch/roll/yaw stuff. particles are locked on. i'm all for tweaks, but i get 1000 fps with a gf fx 5900 full detail max everything, on my gf2 400mx i was getting in the 100-300's. i'm not really that interested in getting over 2k fps by tweaking down everything.

if during a melee clients start slowing down then i'll figure out why they are slowing down and work on it that way.

stats; i'm working on the stats. right now there are so many damn indexes for the client/entity states that its a friggin mess, but its in the plan. things like your sentry hitting people count. why? because if you plant a sentry and are curious about how good its doing, then you'll be able to tell it's accuracy. same with turrets; they count for your stats.

_