Author: {wf}shadowspawn <shadowspawn_at_shadowspawn_dot_net>     Reply to Message
Date: 12/18/2003 7:57:13 AM
Subject: RE: what was the reason....

to be honest i tried that. the target earthquake works by actually changing your velocity at random along 3 axis. this means that you could be running full speed and then literally be going backwards within 10 frames, you seem stuck; its a weird feeling. i never liked the way that worked for explosions because it never shoved you backwards.

team arena does the same thing, its nothing more then a target earthquake.

so, since all i wanted to do was shake the view around, i did just that; shook the view around. there was a qdevils concept that was based on the view feedback on damage server-side; your view got kicked around. i didn't like that either because all it did was twist your view around then slowly brought it back. in q2wf it lasted maybe 3 versions before it was taken out; on a laggy server it made people sick (q2wf was ALL server-side).

since i changed the physics on how weapon damage affects players you still get blown back (at what seems pretty accurate along axis on a flat ground plane, but a bit of randomness) if you are on the ground (i literally move the player up 2 units when it goes off so its not a ground entity) so you get blown back always. not as much as fully in the air since you slam back down and get slowed down by friction quickly, but you still get blown farther away then you did before. if a borg squatted and dropped a plasmabomb it'd have the same effects physics wise since the pb would be below player origins while standing, but since hardly anyone knows about that (except those that know the game really well) i figured i'd level the playing field.

i'm happy with it; it was all i could do from adding the effect to every weapon since with small amounts of damage it hardly does a thing, but it still is evident.

_