Author: {wf}shadowspawn <shadowspawn_at_shadowspawn_dot_net>     Reply to Message
Date: 12/10/2003 8:08:07 AM
Subject: RE: Confused and opinions

yea what he said.

Here's a present for ya, if you have wfa. first load up cancer3-wfa, then download and put this map in wfa/maps, sv_pure 0, and fire it up. It's cancer3-wfa in q2 scale.

If you've never mapped for q3 before, using gtk will probably get your goat for how different it is. If you want some sources of the wfa maps tho to figure out how they are made, there's a few floating around.

As far as the scale; q3 maps are scaled to q3 player size. The viewheight, the bounding boxes are 8 units more each side. (mins/maxs -8/+8) so its not that much different. It's scaling, and it IS inside your head.

Thats one of the reasons I added a g_radius var to all radius checks as well; because the q2 splash damage radius was EXACTLY the same as q3 splash damage, and the sentry range is the same as q2's, etc.

Now it's truely scaled to q2-to-q3's player difference.

you can always get a texture set, say one of evils, and color them as q2 was colored as well.

as a matter of fact if you already HAVE a q2 map its easy to create that in q3. I did it for banter for wfa. A few people have it (i don't anymore) but I didn't officially release it because it used q2 textures, just converted to tga's and jpgs. After it was compiled I ran a -scale from q3map and scaled it up 1.32 the size.

It looked exactly like banter from q2wf, just in wfa.

There is something else you are forgetting about q2; Vis.

in q2 Vis sucked. it did, sorry. The worst map (and my favorite map and what got me learing about the q3 engine) was postal.

There is also a q2 to q3 map converter, but it uses and remaps paths for q2 textures and does some damn odd things with ents and the lightgrid. If everyone had q2 in the same directory relative to q3 I could even release maps, loaded in fusion that would load q2 textures, scaled, relit, and using external .ent files.

Since that would require the install of q2 AND have q2 installed relative to q3, i'm not going that route.

_