Author: {wf}shadowspawn <shadowspawn_at_shadowspawn_dot_net>     Reply to Message
Date: 12/4/2003 4:17:38 PM
Subject: RE: how can i increase fps

NO!

I don't care WHAT you say. I SAW what happened at quakecon, using OpenGL STOCK instructions and ATI doing abnormal crap with all sorts of things. Yes it ran, but it ran 1/2 assed. And watched what happened with the debug prints on ATI cards.

Every single WFA person who has an NV3-compatible card with WFA, TC says holy shit when they see the maps. This is what I've been seeing since the start.

Yes ok there might be something i'm missing, i'm not saying that i'm the end-all authority. but after talking with other OpenGL developers who I admit might not know their shit, on 3 other forums, one for quake, 1 for nix, one for 3ds stuff and them stating simply: "there's nothing you can do until ATI fixes their drivers", "ati drivers are shit", " wait until a standard standard is hammered down" who am I going to believe.

Even the lead tenabrae coder, who has someone on their team who codes ATI drivers admitted in the q3map forum that ATI handles shaders in a totally different way then OpenGL standards.

To me I hate both of them for not agreeing on a common concept. I'd rather work on one single propriatary chipset then try to accomodate 3 or 4 different interpretations.

_