Author: {wf}shadowspawn <shadowspawn_at_shadowspawn_dot_net>     Reply to Message
Date: 12/1/2003 10:58:10 AM
Subject: RE: Another old-school q2wf question

its pure q2wf physics. I'm not trying to make it like wfa. Some things I had to change, others I opted to (and can be disabled). The physics for splash/friction HAD to change because of the way q3 collision detection works with curved surfaces/meshes. If you try to bounce something around that's standing on a mesh it sorta, well, didn't work. Including a gunner standing on the ledges in zero. (you ever put a laser/sentry/alarm on an actual mesh, you'll notice that it sorta sticks inside of it)

When I say I changed the gunner I actually didn't from the end-result. I had to backpedal or rewrite allot of physics code in order to give it the q2 feel. Most was easy, some was damn tough (rotating the roll back and forth when strafing as a recon, for instance, client-side instead of server-side and "lerping" the rolls).

The gunner gets bounced around. Allot. I copied over q2wf 5.0 code to the alpha that's being tested, and in that she's stuck to the ground (similar to a plasma). The reason for that; she was cleared of velocity every frame, which basically glues her. That's the way WFA is (Little known wfa bug: you can have fun with some maps by binding the alt-mega constantly down for the class, she becomes unmovable and impervious to splash from anything while on the ground :P) I just stopped the cmds from being sent (except for crouching/jumping).

the items bouncing around was in a pre 4.25 release of q2wf, part of the 'qdevils' support file that was thrown in. It was disabled from allot of items; i think they originally threw it in everywhere but then took it out because people were making flags dissapear (you could rotate the flag out of visible range) or just general exploits; there was allot of work to stop exploits if it was enabled, so I enabled it. It was still in there, just commented for the function call.

Now as I said before and I will say it again ALL these changes (shock items, alt fire, etc) will be defaulted to OFF with one var for release (maybe, it depends on feedback if people like it), or each one turned on/off individually.

_