Author: {wf}shadowspawn <shadowspawn_at_shadowspawn_dot_net>     Reply to Message
Date: 11/21/2003 2:40:26 PM
Subject: the balance of power

hah no not class power. in wf/wfa there's always a constant distance check run every frame on everything; if you are close to something bang. that in effect is always checking to see if you are within a range, in itself about 3 functions always running every server frame. client information is always ignored.

now that triggers work as they should, i'm looking at the proximity code for team arena's proxies. it spawns a trigger, so instead of a distance check its a contents check, both client and server-side. actually client-side more then ever. the benifits are that there is no chance you'd skip over a proxie or goodyear, an alarm and it won't activate. sorta like a door; a door doesn't do a distance check in game, it does a contents check.

bad thing is that's a crapload of triggers and entities would double for each item placed; 4 proxies becomes 8 ents, 4 goodyears become 8 ents, etc. so much more memory would have to be used.

i wanted to use it for the laser till i put on on a 45 degree wall and that blew that theory up. but i was able to create something that stops people from going through lasers in the same manner; sorta a hack at the contents check i guess. just a different way to approach it engine-side.

you know i have no clue what to do except try it post-alpha or maybe for the alarm only, i dunno i'll sneak it in there someplace, for now i'm gonna leave well enough alone. a simple /entitylist on any of the servers will give me an idea if its freeing up or not after the server's been up for a while.

and i still dunno what's the benifit of using const's.

_