Author: {wf}shadowspawn <shadowspawn_at_shadowspawn_dot_net>     Reply to Message
Date: 11/17/2003 10:35:14 PM
Subject: RE: map in progress ?

ALMOST ALL WFA MAPS ARE BROKEN IN WFFUSION, MMMKAY?

I had to rewrite the collision detection for the engine, the BASIC foundations of what quake actually is, in order to make wfa maps work right.

its not any mapper's fault. wfa took the levels to the extreme.

see posts below on what i'm talking about. ok picture this: a football field, and the goal posts as one single trigger entity.

in q1/q2/early pre 1.29 q3 the trigger, one ent many brushes, would be defined as the mins/maxs of the entity. so if you visualize the football field, the actual trigger entity's mins/maxs would stretch accross the whole damn field.

in q3 now, the triggers are based off of collision detection of the brushmodel. something really cool, and should've been done in the first place.

so what i needed to do was rewrite how collision detection works. it sorta does work, but the whole game is unstable as hell right now. I have to change how all entities are triggered basically rewriting every god damn item's code.

it HAD to be done. the cheap 'hack' i used for the other alpha was just not to include those ents in the map on the server-side's .ent file. but all wfa maps use that style, so that can't happen.

_