Author: {wf}shadowspawn <shadowspawn_at_shadowspawn_dot_net>     Reply to Message
Date: 11/10/2003 1:12:27 AM
Subject: behold, the power of alt

see here was something i was doing while the little gnome in the back of my skull figures out the brushmodel problem:

the cluster rockets cause 4 events to be broadcast all at one instant. It hits, fires 4 grenades spread along a symetrical direction, and those 4 grenades explode at exactly the same second. well that's pretty damn banging the hell out of my subwoofers and my headphones, both. so, i figured ok, i'll just randomize their time to live by +/- 1/10th of a second.

nope, doesn't work because the grenades can damage each other when they explode, so still all 4 explode by the time the frame gets to the clients. now anyone who's played citadels with q2wf can recall that a ground pounder spamming clusters can easily get around 14 of them loose as he's going across mid and gets to the entrance. that's a shitload of events to happen at once, and i know cause i used to enjoy doing that.

so, i decided to make an alternate for testing. its the same thing except: server-side it loops to create the stuff; it creates 7 of them, the 7 of the grenades go in random directions. (i gotta remind everyone that random is between 0 and 1, and with grenades i just multiplied it after boosting it based on average, something that's randomly going up to 50% faster can in theory not go at all)

random velocities (up to 1-1/2 more) upwards and the grenades last up to 1-1/3 longer. they also don't take damage from each other, and they carry the rocket's last known velocity with them. so if you've ever seen videos of cluster rockets when they spray, its more or less realistic. Again it's alternate, and it's easily turned off.

1.6mb divx avi

1st one is alternate, 2nd is classic, 3rd is alternate again.

_