Author: {wf}shadowspawn <shadowspawn_at_shadowspawn_dot_net>     Reply to Message
Date: 11/5/2003 8:06:41 AM
Subject: the math, the mega, and the sentry.

well see its a random point along one axis vs a random point along another axis. eventually the extremes will be met, which will be a square. (max x vs max y vs min x vs min y).

I was talking in one of the open source channels, about to dive into creating an alt fire for the mega so that I could play with it, and asked if anyone already did this because they thought the randomness of quake weapons was crap. I was also making sure I wouldn't be re-inventing the wheel and the guy who wrote Dark Places said he had it done already.

It's not that hard to picture, but using just 2 axis mins/maxs is not the best way to check distance.

or speed.

its the same thing with the sentry's target speed check. The velocity check for players in wf/wfa is max of x or y speed along the ground. You go 100 units/sec x and 80 units/sec y, and you are considered going 100 units/sec. This was one of the things that bothered SOmany people because the sentry was unpredictable. Untill you figured it out, once you did it was exploited.

Only a few engineers knew about it tho, and on some maps like zero where you always are traveling at 45 degrees, the sentry seemed to hit more.

That means you go 45 degrees to the sentry, and even tho you are traveling at the same velocity, you are traveling less. you can't move at max player velocity and move max velocity along x and y.

The player/game 'speed' check doesn't work like that in the game, it's not like you can move 200 units/sec x or y. if you think about it, if the check could only go max 200 units x or y, and went exactly at 45 degrees to the world, you'd be going 300 units a sec since in theory you'd be going max 200x and max 200y.

So yea, I did 'fix' the sentry. but I didn't want to 'fix' the spread because that is something that is so internally learned that it'd shake the foundations of the game.

_