Author: {wf}shadowspawn <shadowspawn_at_shadowspawn_dot_net>     Reply to Message
Date: 11/4/2003 10:33:26 PM
Subject: more on spread

the spread in wfa is still a box, i just happened to have my crosshairs set so i can guage targets within average attacking distance. its still a square.

anyhow, there's gonna be some flack about what changed and what didn't. some things i had to change, some things i wanted to change and did, some things i wanted to change but can't.

The things I did change because i wanted to were mostly effects driven, like how things look or sound. Things like alt-fire can be turned off, but you have to remember just about every weapon is customizable through an external file so nothing is ever locked in stone.

also a big thing i wanted to do but didn't have to do was working on prediction so it feels smoother then q2, but with the amount of entities and the weigh-in of the rendering of wfa's effects, I had to optimize everywhere. You can't just expect wfa media to 'just work' with the q2 engine as the q2 engine is and using q2wf game code.

One of the things I wanted to but couldn't was what you see above in that post. I WANTED to change the gunner's spread to a real circle, not some box math. The coder in charge of 'dark places' engine and i talked about the math for it, and it would rock. it would be a truly random circle, not some sort of haphazard square. after all, the particle effects aren't square, its sorta the same math). But I can't change that, because that's what really touches the balance of the classes; how their weapons fire and act in game.

Tho I can tell you that the kick from the mega makes the wfa mega feel like a friggin pea-shooter. I didn't change the specs on it either. It's just nuts, thats all.

_