Author: {wf}shadowspawn <shadowspawn_at_shadowspawn_dot_net>     Reply to Message
Date: 10/6/2003 10:46:37 AM
Subject: RE: fusion

does the grapple sling still work like wfa? got i don't wanna relearn that...

yes and no. different physics, but for all intents and purposes the same 'end result' can be done. maybe grapple-rocket-walljumping is harder, if anything.

why does it take longer than a regular wfa map to load?
i load up every sound, every model, every shader that the game is going to use. I did that to find out where the memory ceiling was, and then tweak it. in wfa, you know it too nail, the first time you plant a sentry everyone gets a 'hiccup' because the game needs to load the sentry media. the plasmabomb is actually worse the first time. so, i just load everything up front.

how often are there actually enough ppl on the server to do a 2v2 or something, and really test things out? or is it not mature enough to test that far yet?

it's been up for 2 weeks without a crash. probably could use a reboot, but its ok to get a game up. least i don't think anything will crash.

who did the UI graphics? they were fairly well done. were any other graphics redone? i haven't played much yet, just messed with getting on the server and joining the game. did someone redo all the models and shiz? were any of those sounds i heard new, or all just from old wf that i don't remember?

the wffusion ui concept was done by simtex after i yelled at him. When I said anything was possible, that didn't mean that I had all the time in the world to do it. Some models are redone, to fix problems. The sounds that are new are actually old that were fundamentially broken (our flag capture/flag taken sounds in wfa are broken, never knew it till i started working on this). Other newer sounds i've been making as i go along.

The bugs you mentioned about the split second delay with sounds is also gone in the next port, since i'm using the client for allot of the effects. some stuff still will seem different, but not much. It's more like quake3 now.

If static reads this far, packets now have huffman encoding which chopped down packetsize by about, oh i dunno, 1/10th of what it was.

:P

_