Author: {wf}shadowspawn <shadowspawn_at_shadowspawn_dot_net>     Reply to Message
Date: 9/16/2003 1:29:07 AM
Subject: RE: WF Fusion

1. Is this really the q2 engine?
it was. most of the functions are the same, altho the whole prediction deal is a bit different. the port thats being tested now in #wfatesters is based off of the q2 physics except where i had to adjust them because of the map/bsp collision detection structure and the client/server event code changes. to those that never played q2wf before the reactions are mixed: from "awesome", "cool", "oh shit" to "floaty", "sloppy", "loose".

2. Is this really WF game physics?
Yes. Rocket jumping is tougher, over time wfa started increasing knockback on weapons. Grapple is q2wf's grapple but i did change it some (it thinks 3x faster now). Ramp phyiscs are the same, tho thats actually a bug that is becomming hard to keep in after constant adjustments to the netcode.

It's q2wf 4.2x, with some of 4.25 and all of 5.0's bug fixes. Used allot of the memory fixes that wound up getting broken and had to be re-fixed.

The menu system is definitely going to change. right now its functional, not pretty, but its a floating task. Effects like that and the ui is basically slack time for me.

The sentry isn't sticky, but you can still 'stick' it to the ceiling if you remember how to in q2wf. You can still push friendly players with the mega, you can still mess around with the engineer's sentry with the railgun and pipebombs. Some things have changed like the origin of the supplydepots, so unfortunately you can't spend time playing depot hockey anymore, nor can you grapple the dart as an engineer.

3. Did you loose anything in the port from the old game play ?
Besides what's above, there is no more 'ref skin' (tho i could make a model), and there is only one gesture for the models. Origins of the players changed, and this is also wfa/q3, so everything is scaled a bit differently. I ajusted all radius checks (splash damage, alarm, sentry, turret, etc) with a server-side variable, right now its set at 1.32 which is exactly the difference in playermodel scales and i'm probably gonna hardcode it and remove the var.

Vertex lighting probably won't work, and voodoo users are having issues.

4. Besides the visual effects and map visuals/textures what other things from Q3 are in this?

sounds, models, and map entities, mostly, not using too much more from q3 except the rendering engine (which still needs some work for sound, there are some minor annoyances). It's using ALL of the wfa media except hud files and menu files, open up a pk3 and browse through. It now supports 44khz eax and is on by default if the drivers are installed. there is ogg support (sorta) and mp3 support (again, sorta). Entities for maps can be dumped, edited, loaded externally without compiling a new bsp, and only the server needs it. the wfaserver.ini is the main cvar archive for the game.

right now i'm preparing to go forward and do the whole q3 cgame/game/ui split. Altho naming conventions are different, its basically q3 in code form. When I say that it's q3, that means that its q3 in code structure, but not in comparing code function's end results or methods.

There's allot of misc tweaks i'll add in later once the cgame split is done, but for now stability was a critical path event... and that's wrapping up nicely.

_