Author: {wf}shadowspawn <shadowspawn_at_shadowspawn_dot_net>     Reply to Message
Date: 9/12/2003 8:49:44 AM
Subject: the status.

soon, soon. There is now a split happening in the code to make it like q3, client game, server game, and ui. The benifits of using a client game is more can be predicted and controlled by the client, so the server can work less and send less data to clients. Only thing it really affects me tho is the menus and player animations and effects, but still it's a big friggin change happening.

I figured if you wanted to know what was going on, you can get a glimpse of it. I use winmerge to diff things in an order: base changes to a common source, then incorporate those codebase changes into wf fusion one function or naming convention change at a time.

g_main.c diff, 578k divx.

ok that's stock, what basically runs the server, only thing of interest in there is the RunFrame (sv_fps determines the frequency of this) and it does nothing but keep timing in order. Below is the diff between stock and wf, no way i merge it like this, but it will give you an example of the difference between wf and stock quake.

main engine diff to wf fusion, 1.2m divx.

now for the worst, before you look at this keep in mind there are TWO weapon files in stock quake for the weapons, one really main one, and this is it. Also keep in mind that WF/WFA uses a heavily modified version of this file as a core, and variations of the functions within this core for the other 60 or so weapons spread out into about 3 dozen other files; some call back to the functions in this, most have their own functions. For example; the sniper rifle is also the railgun is also the sentry bullet and it calls this, but the sentry killer the pellet rocket the pistol the mega the hyper have all their own functions that are based off of this core.

p_weapon.c diff, stock. (not wf) 1.84m

that's what's goin on. what I have now works, and i'm backing it up/putting it on cvs before i attempt this, my desktop has 5 different repositories on it from 4 different coders; even acrid is making a version of this with new Windows API tricks.

Its amazing how so many people can work with different unrelated parts, and each one doesn't look too much different then stock per se, but together the end result rocks. Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated.

The best part is some people that are licensed under ID are kinda miffed about all of this. (/me waves!) It's ID's fault, they shot themselves in the foot by releasing the q2 source in the first place.

_