Author: {wf}shadowspawn <shadowspawn_at_shadowspawn_dot_net>     Reply to Message
Date: 9/11/2003 4:02:21 AM
Subject: all these things...

just wondering bout stuff. kinda bug eyed after writing a new config/cvar system anyone can use without knowing anything about the engine, and hoping i can get someone like dlb to make a front-ent since its pretty simple now. for anyone who works with server configs, the q3config.cfg equivilant is just for the client now, server ignores it and works off of one file like the wfserver.ini. it has its temp files for ip bans, aimbot catchers, but those are just for reference not for operation.

i tried for 3 hours to make it work like q3's, then i realized i could just say fuggit and make something better since i have my hands on the engine.

i noticed i stopped writting in comments, and that scares me; i don't need them much now. i think.

so, i'm thinking. and giddy, but figured i'd just spew stuff.

voting for maps, as it is now you need to drop down the console and type vote. thing is, you can do that any time. i'm wondering if i should just autocmd it to everyone at end of level, like wfa has it now.

gas grenades. make it so players are actually nausous if hit with it? i can, you know, make you sick if you get gassed. one thing i talk to allot of people about is what could be considered lame... if you have a weapon, or a special ability that changes the way things happen it doesn't make it lame it takes it to the next level of playability. then you come to the hard core balance issues. make others sick? yea its easy. make it so its tough to do? well yea, thats obvious. how to make it tough, but addictive for those that like to spurn other players with nausious effects witout giving up... make the effect easier to do and less of an effect, or make it tougher to do and a much cooler effect... crap like that is where i'm at with the engine now.

visuals are fun to work with, and now i'm spending my time with the effects now that the core engine is done.

grappling to sents is like it is in wfa. even put code in there for a 'spy grapple' but not enabling it, i'll leave it in there for mock.

grapple damage had a bug in it. it did frame damage as well as impact damage, dunno why that was even in there. its like wf, but not as fast, tho faster then the gauntlet in wfa.

console. i hate the q3 console. i was actually thinking of making a small box in the lower left hand corner pop in and out. if people wanted to use it or to see all the info that's going on, just like the ~ does now but it doesn't 'take over' the keyboard... but if you press the ~ key it'll be in focus. since its alpha/transparent, i dunno. i really hate the q3 one. replacing all console text into another box might be another solution.

i hate doing plague grenades. that is a bitch, its impossible to just 'give yourself' plague without rewiring almost all of the damn code, so its tough to test.

hud, camera is fixed. im using the milli hud in wfa as a base for this.

i think i have origins screwed up; you hear the railgun normally but the sound of it firing from someone else seems to eminate from the impact point... go figure. gibs from dead players still make noises of the respawned player until the player gets into range.

have a few plans for it after the next big cgame split/code merge. Jalisko is helping full time when that's done; takes a big load off of me for doublechecking math and code.

the whole q2-using-q3 vm's is still too iffy... the only difference anyway is naming conventions, raw network protocol, and lack of vm's (seperate os builds will just have to be made anyway). This split will basically be like q3 with a main engine, client engine, server engine, ui; so i will be moving allot of game-only stuff over to the clients, further messing with stuff.

i am so tempted to see what would happen if i could say to surge this week "hey, lets play this week's map on wf fusion, give them a full day on sunday to set up their binds" without a merc, of course.

its that close to full blown beta. well the ui still sucks, and the modelers need a swift kick in the ass, and some guns still don't draw in 3rd person cause im burning out remaking/recompiling all these md3's for weapons (42 weapons) and fixing level entities.

oh and the network tests with v3 the other night; bandwidth is 1/4 of q3.

_