Author: {wf}shadowspawn <shadowspawn_at_shadowspawn_dot_net>     Reply to Message
Date: 9/4/2003 2:08:03 PM
Subject: RE: The SHIT

it depends. it's open sourced, but there are questionable comments inside it that reflect to other things from id software that I don't think were really open sourced to begin with, and ttimo defenitely wasn't part of q2 and his comments are in there.

everything looks almost clean, its hard to say really what might be wrong with it. I was able to connect to q3 servers and even have demos of it, it's far from perfect, but it works, and it's a helluva effort the guy made to get it to run. But even in the readme he references one codebase that was used that was rumored to have questionable code in it.

I am just of the opinion that it might have leaked software in it. It is using the qfusion rendering system, which is purely new and unique, but the filesystem, zone memory management, and key/console system is suspect. All this stuff is being re-written anyway, so its not that big of a deal imo, just as it stands its shakey.

I think the general agreement of everyone who's looked at it as being 'woah', and taking it as a (really valuable) reference application for code examples more then a direct codebase to run with. Noone I talked to really wants to use it because of code similarities with other projects that were yanked. I mean I don't use any q3 modsource, but i had to create my own functions from scratch for every entity that our maps use.

Oh and it won't work with WFA cause WFA uses the TA menu system that's built into the exe, but it does work with pre 1.29 vm's with a little fiddling :P

_