Author: {wf}shadowspawn <shadowspawn_at_shadowspawn_dot_net>     Reply to Message
Date: 8/25/2003 2:13:30 PM
Subject: RE: Clarify some stuff pls.

could you list what makes Fusion diff from Q2wf v wfa or in other words, what GOODIES from both games can we expect to see in Fusion

It's q2wf code with WFA media, q2wf media, and new media to both. Basically if it's been in wfa, the q2 counterpart now uses wfa media. If it wasn't in WFA but it was in Q2wf, good chance its totally and completely new. Since I'm moving away from baseq3 reliability, it's going to be using new stuff all over. That's about it really from what fusion is using from WFA, 'prettyness' wise. Code wise, it gets kinda fuzzy.

There is a new HUD system, but the Q2wf configs work for identifying players, tho you might start lagging out if you spam it. I might fix that or i might wind up changing it so it just shows up in a designated place on the hud.

Q2 and q2wf have map entities that weren't in Q3WFA. So now basically where there were WFA counterparts from Q2wf, now they use the WFA set... where they didn't exist in Q3/WFA they do now. Things like teleporters are still server-side, but rotating doors, func_trains, etc are a mix of Q2 and WFA effects, but follow Q2 standards where they don't interfere with wfa maps already.

The easiest: target_speakers use all the keys that Q3 does (wait, random, gametype) as well as the q2 speakers (attenuation, volume), and now can use 44.5khz stereo (neither) or affected by PVS (wfa), as well as global, looped on/looped off, targeted (both).

Basically if a Q3 mapper never worked with Q2 before, all they need to do is look at the notes from the new Q2/WF Fusion ents and they'll be at home. Q2 mappers will have to do work to change their entities, but anyone who's worked with both q2 and q3 already know what's involved, the same that worked with Q2wf and Q3wfa pretty much know what's going on. Except allot of things that were messed up in q3 in general now work like they used to in Q2, but only in WF Fusion. As an addition if the gametype of "wf_fusion" is in the key/value, it won't spawn in wfa ctf/dom since wf fusion converts that gametype to ctf.

The code base: It's q2wf 4.25 for the most part of what people who play it will experience, it's 5.0 from the backend for tons of fixes and optimizations Acrid put in, as well as tons of MOCK code that now works. Additionally there is tons of client-side work that was done to seperate the client and server code, so its starting to be optimized over a basic client/game(server)/ui structure similar to Quake3 and even backs further away from the Q2wf foundation, but end result is just smoother gameplay. That translates as its 4.25 for all intents and purposes, but what q2wf maps can be played on maps like q3ctf4? or any other of the wfa map styles that were introduced over the years... even zero (lan-fear) that has an almost infinite sky... so imagine sentry killers on that map, or turrets tossed WAY high up.

But I know the first knee jerk reaction from those that play q2 will be OMFG THOSE DAMN SPAM BUGS!

There's a reason I put them all in, on purpose where they were fixed in 5.0, or left them in when they were there and weren't 'crash bugs'. For these, I don't call them bugs, but if I forgot one or two I'm sure people will let me know (I missed a few at quakecon and people pointed them out right away, grapple to floor sentry bug stuff that I actually reproduced by accident even tho it was fixed before I ported code).

Most WFA players never knew what made q2wf what it was; if WF has a future in Q4 or any other game I gotta bring it down to it's foundation first to show people what it was all about. Grapple kills are in cause of one request that made sense, people loved to use it. So its now there but not against sentries; I also changed the grapple kill so it's on par (speed/damage when it hits a player) with the gauntlet, and even does a "humiliation" feedback.

The stinger kicking spam works like it did, but they don't leap up off the ground if it detects someone new after it goes 'idle'.

The depot damage... it's funny you should mention that. At quakecon I was watching WFA-only people wondering what just happened when an engineer came on full force after the flag runner and depot spammed them, the TF guys went right back into their old ways. Some stuff was just needed, i mean blowing up a depot hurt the engineer also, and now it seems like it hurts them even more due to how events are handled in the code.

But mappers for WFA also had ways to stop things from being built and placed in certain map spots (tucking a sentry in a corner, or making a laser not work in a certain corner), so that works as well. I'm not going to merge the two game's individual 'lamma' fixes until later, after talking to everyone who's played it. I dunno, I like watching an affective defensive borg, but I hate the ones that kept on blowing up my own stuff.

There's going to be three very vocal sides: q2wf people who are like omfg all the spam crap is back (which they will be right) and hate it, Q2wf/wfa players that will be the same and love it, and WFA "Prostar" people who will have no clue what's going on when they walk into a flagroom and see a biosentry, proxies, pipebombs, defensive spy with a gas grenade, goodyears, and turret grenades as well as a sentry welcome them, or an engineer who just watched a team gunner plant a strange box at his sentry and then saw it blow up 10 seconds later.

As far as what class gets what and weapon damages and all that, MOCK works allot more powerful then how it does in Q2wf so people can play. I won't release an updated MOCK until well after the first round of betas when i gather all the feedback from everyone and just mess with it; so all the messing that i do with it after the first beta can be reversed by whoever wants to reverse it without bothering to hunt through tons of now-messy and uncommented code. Besides as it's written now the MOCK front-end is totally different then what it was.

There's tons of code in there also; multiple alarms, multiple lasers, missle launcher, static map-based sentry guns, cloaking, plus all the oldschool weapons like the earthquake grenade. There's code for 'decoy cells', as well as, well, allot of crap; anti-grav boots, jetpack boots (like megaTF), so many weapons that I didn't have time to assign models to them; just made sure they didn't crash when loaded, let alone compiled right after porting.

I think I rambled.

_